Saturday, August 23, 2008

Revenge of the Saab: Part 1

Well that was short-lived. The top may go down now, but that doesn't matter if I can't drive the damn thing. Yep, more problems. About a week ago I started hearing this kind of grumbling sound coming from the right side of the engine. It was intermittent so I made a mental note to have my mechanic look at it when I go in to have the oil sending unit replaced (which was going to be in the next week or two).

Hop in the car this morning—the sound is no longer intermittent, nor is it quiet. It's now a full out, constant rumbling. And LOUD. So, instead of taking mom home, I get to stop by Tire Kingdom to see if they'll check my belts and such (mom is sure it's a belt or a pulley problem). Of course, TK is packed and the counter guy says it'll be about 45 minutes until they can take a look. I decide to wait. Maybe it's because I'm cute (or he just wanted me out of his hair), but the next thing I know they pull my car into the bay. There were some moments of panic when they couldn't find the tire lock. Lucky for them, they still had it from when I was in there a few months ago getting new tires! Boneheads...

Anyway, after about 30 minutes, Johan diagnoses the problem: AC compressor, specifically the bearing:



After quoting me $900 for a new one (yeah, right. have you guys heard of eBay???), I said thank you very much for the diagnosis. I'll be driving home now, with the windows down and the air most definitely OFF. Johan recommended not driving really until it's fixed so now I'm nervous. I'm going to head on over the SC and see what they have to say.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment